I’ve now tried three different ways of sewing mittens.
1: The famous pattern used by MYOGers everywhere. It works, but I got some annoying extra fabric flapping around the inside of my thumb. I checked all the mass marked mittens we had around the house, and every single one had a round seam where the thumb is attached.
2: So i tried to make that! This one is as above, but with a round seam between thumb and palm. The pieces below replace the piece to the right in the above picture! (It needs to be a little bit longer, so that where the thumb starts is the same point) This worked out well, with less ekstra fabric bunching up.
3: And then same as above, but simplified to one piece. Next time sewing mittens I’ll just go for that. Note that this pattern is just for the “hand part” of the glove, the cuff needs to be added.
I used this for the inner lining in my glove, and it works. The thumb is about three thumbs wide, and the main compartment is the width of a hand plus two thumbs.
The advantage to this design over the classic MYOG mitten…
… is that you get a nicer shape around the thumb. The downside is you use a tiny bit more fabric. (Small difference)
Anyway my second try at mittens is done. The lining is a thin layer of polyester, and then a middle layer of knit wool.
I’m happy with the look, and they were practically free, but they are a bit stiff and heavy. I used a thick Cordura-type material, mainly for bags and kneepads. I might invest in thinner fabric and some good old polar fleece next time…
PS: sorry for the TP. It’s new, I promise!